Boston IVF is one of the only fertility centers in New England to offer in-house acupuncture treatments that synchronize with your IUI and IVF procedures. Our acupuncture team works alongside your clinical staff to custom-design a course of treatment that is right for you.
We offer acupuncture treatments prior to and immediately after IUI and IVF procedures seven days a week – 365 days a year.
PROGRAM FAST FACTS
- each Boston IVF fertility doctor highly recommends fertility acupuncture just before and right after IUI and IVF treatments
- Boston IVF/The Domar Center has performed more than 25,000 fertility acupuncture treatments
- data from a recent study shows that pregnancy rates increased by 17% for women who receive acupuncture (compared to those who did not)
HOW ACUPUNCTURE CAN HELP
Research demonstrates that acupuncture treatments before and after IUI and embryo transfer may significantly improve pregnancy rates by increasing blood flow to the uterus, regulating hormone levels, reducing stress, and improving male sperm counts. Acupuncture is useful throughout infertility treatment and pregnancy to treat other fertility conditions as well, including hormone-related emotional imbalances, pelvic pain, menopausal symptoms, heavy bleeding, irregular periods, and postpartum disorders. Acupuncture also enhances overall fertility health, as it:
- increases the possibility of IVF success by improving diminished ovarian reserve markers
- normalizes menstrual cycle and hormone levels
- increases your likelihood of a successful birth by supporting your body’s overall health during pregnancy
- improves pregnancy outcomes if you have experienced recurrent pregnancy loss
- increases blood flow to your uterus and ovaries, which can improve the quality of your eggs and heighten your chances of a successful implantation
- returns ovulation if you have stopped ovulating because of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
On the day of your embryo transfer, you will arrive one hour early in Waltham to meet with a Domar Center acupuncture practitioner just before your scheduled procedure. A 20 to 30-minute acupuncture treatment will be performed. The pre-transfer treatment uses acupuncture points that help dilate the cervix, making the insertion of embryos easier. Other points are used to calm your nervous system, which in turn relaxes the uterus and causing a decrease in cramping and contractions. Other acupuncture points are used to help improve circulation of blood to the uterus to create a thicker uterine lining. The treatment is calming and helps optimize uterine receptivity.
Just after your doctor performs the embryo transfer, you will again visit the Domar Center, where your acupuncturist performs a second acupuncture treatment. The post-transfer treatment continues to focus on relaxing the nervous system and uses acupuncture points which help circulate additional blood to the uterus. This aids in preventing contractions, nourishes the newly-implanted embryo, and makes a successful implantation more likely.
For 24-48 hours after an IVF or IUI procedure, acupuncture continues to be effective in not only putting a patient’s mind at ease, but also decreasing the spasms and cramping sometimes associated with IVF and IUI procedures. Although we recommend women participate in a longer-term fertility acupuncture program, this one-time option is a stand-alone treatment that offers a higher success rate than no acupuncture at all.
HOW TO SCHEDULE A SESSION
Acupuncture appointments can be scheduled 7 days a week at our Waltham fertility center. Don’t hesitate to contact the Domar Center to learn more or to schedule a session.