If you are undergoing IVF treatment or are about to start treatment, you should definitely pay attention to your nutrition during this journey. As healthy nutrition has an important place in the treatment of many diseases, it also has positive effects on IVF treatment. Factors such as the production and functioning of healthy hormones in both sexes, sperm production and quality, egg quality and number, and a healthy uterine environment are related to the foods and beverages consumed by individuals. However, it is known that having an ideal weight and a correct nutrition plan can increase the success of IVF treatment and help couples undergoing infertility treatment to have a more comfortable treatment process. Expert Dietitian Ece Dönmez gave information about the subject.
Emphasizing that it is important for the couples who will start treatment to reach the ideal weight at least 3 months before, to follow the appropriate nutrition plan and to eliminate the necessary vitamin and mineral deficiencies, she recommends the couples to pay attention to their nutrition during IVF treatment as follows;
1. Water consumption is important in treatment. Make sure to consume 8-10 glasses of water a day. Also, do not drink water from a plastic bottle. Because some chemicals in plastic bottles cause hormone imbalance by mimicking estrogen in the body.
2. For healthy eggs and sperm, consume vegetables and fruits that are rich in antioxidants.
3. Protein is an important part of nutrition during this period. For a better course of treatment, replace some animal protein sources (such as meat, fish and eggs) with vegetable protein sources (such as beans, nuts and seeds).
4. Do not eat meat too much in this process due to the saturated and trans fatty acids it contains. Make sure that its consumption does not exceed 1-2 days a week.
5. Fish should be consumed at least 2-3 times a week. Since fish living at the bottom are risky in terms of mercury, heavy metals and toxic substances, they should be avoided in this process. You can choose fish such as anchovies, horse mackerel, mackerel and bonito that live on the surface of the sea.
6. You should be fed with the right carbohydrates. You can consume complex carbohydrates (vegetables, fruit, legumes, whole grains) instead of refined carbohydrates (sugar foods, pastries, juices, white bread, white pasta, white rice).
7. You can choose pasteurized and full-fat milk and dairy products. If you have a sensitive digestive system to dairy products, you should avoid their consumption or choose lactose-free products.
8. Whole grain foods are rich in fiber, important vitamins and immune system-boosting nutrients. For this reason, you should stay away from refined grains and choose whole grain breads with high fiber content, such as pasta, quinoa, buckwheat or whole grain rice, and legumes. Consume legumes at least 2 days a week.
9. Pay attention to caffeine consumption. You should not consume more than 200mg per day.
10. Stay away from cigarettes and smoke.
11. Never consume alcoholic beverages.
12. Due to the estrogenic properties of soy-based foods, they can negatively affect the hormonal balance, you should pay attention to their consumption.
13. Attention should be paid to the consumption of herbal teas such as sage, licorice, rosemary, echinacea, fennel, chamomile. In general, do not consume herbal products or herbal teas without consulting your doctor.
14. In your daily life, pay attention to using cosmetics (make-up materials, deodorants, shampoo, etc.) laundry detergents made from natural plants as much as possible.
Establishing a healthy diet encourages the body to produce more new healthy cells. For this reason, it would be beneficial for couples planning pregnancy to change their lifestyles at least 3 months in advance in line with the recommendations.